Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Brief Update on things

It's official, this blogging thing mostly definitely isn't for me.  I've so far failed to write one post in the 50+ days I've been in this absurdly complex, beautiful, hot, messy, tasty, and tiring country.  But I'm not going to lie, I expected that.  After sending my dad an email updating him of my whereabouts for the past couple weeks, I remembered I had a blog to get all of my word vomit.  I guess there's no reason to subject my poor father to my unnecessary ramblings, that's what the internet is for.  To keep things short, I'm going to make a list of cool/interesting/on my mind topics and try to be as brief but informative as possible.

1. The food: Rice overload but overall it's delicious.  My favorite part about the food here is my ammaa.  She wakes up at some ungodly hour in the morning (which is impossible because I already wake up at some ungodly hour in the morning as well (6) and she's up and running) and cooks rice and curry for my lunch "packet" as well as the rest of the family, well my appacci (father) and my host sister who also studies at the University of Peradeniya.  While I had to do a little manuveuring and extra grocery shopping, I'm now served oatmeal for breakfast, instead of rice, which is a nice change to my daily intake of plain white rice.  The  food's good, don't get me wrong, but what's cooler is how much work my ammaa puts into preparing it.  It's pretty sweet.

2.  The huge spider that lives in my room:  I've seen my share a big spiders; however, nothing will be able to stop me from screaming when I see the huge spider that has taken up residence in my room.  I thought we had worked out a nonverbal agreement, I would let him/her stay there if he/she took care of the all the other creepy crawlies that would've stumbled into my room during the evening.  That was until yesterday, when I saw my spider having a conversation (I think?)with another, even larger spider (I didn't think that could be possible).  I would have "taken care of the issue" however I didn't have a baseball bat handy, and I also didn't want to make a mess in my room.  When I'm sure that my spider's new friend can't rip my head off when I get too close, I will take some pictures to post.  I think that fact that I just said all of this means that Sri Lanka is finally getting to my head...


3. The beaches along the east and south coasts: To avoid angering or arousing serious feelings of jealous, I won't elaborate, I will just say that these beaches are beautiful, and I know what I'm taking about, I'm from Hawaii.

4. The university swimming pool: My only form of exercise in this absurdly hot/humid place.  It's a refreshing place to cool off and although I started out knowing approximately nothing about lap swimming, I've been able to getting going now and can at least do free style well enough for the pool guys to not ask me in broken English if I've ever swam before.  I would also like to point out that Sri Lankans are scared of the deep end (I'm only selectively joking...)

5.  Gender and women's study class:  First one of my career. Even growing up an avid feminist, tomboy, "equal rights for all advocate," my eyes are being opened.  I have to do some serious calming exercises after every class though to keep my self from getting too pissed at the world though... "I am woman, hear me roar" is my new mantra.

6. My independent study project (and how I have no idea what I'm going to do my research on)
I'm planning on looking at fish, I think, or maybe trees? I should really know by now... Crap

7. my unexplainable liking for taking the bus:  I can explain this one actually, I think I'm the only white person in this city who knows how to take the bus, I get lots of looks from literally everyone, especially when I get back to my town.  People always think I'm lost.  I tell myself to walk with a purpose.  I feel cool, but not too cool because then I realized I'm just taking the bus...

8. Why Pink and Taylor Swift have suddenly become homesick music: I'm only slightly embarrassed by this.

Everything else that's been happing in the last 50+ days of my life will have to be explained via pictures, enjoy.
 

No comments: